Wednesday, January 28, 2009

DC Superheroes - Mongul

To find DC Universe Classics action figure by Mattel on eBay, click here

On to the second half of Mattel's Super Enemies Figure Pack from their DC Universe Classics 2 pack series. My last review was of the re-released Cyborg Superman so today I'll review the other figure from that 2 pack, Mongul.


Mongul is bigger than the standard DCUC or DCSH action figure. He is about the same height as Mattel's DC Superheroes Darkseid, 7 1/4 inches tall.


Mongul's face sculpt is very angry looking. Someone really ticked this guy off! The face is very well details with a lot of wrinkles. The body is thick and muscular. Mongul's hands and fee are huge.




There is also a lot of design work through out the body. His costume is very detailed. For an action figure which I didn't really care about, he's actually pretty cool looking.



Mongul does tower over DC Superheroes Superman. His fists are as big as Superman's head.



Mongul's paint job is also pretty good. The face is shaded with a darker yellowy brown. His eyes are bright red with black outlines and are painted on cleanly. Looking over the rest of his body, there really aren't any major painting flaws to speak of.

Articulation is not usually a problem with these Mattel action figures. Mongul has all the standard joints. Neck, shoulders, biceps, elbows, wrists, abdominal, waist, hips, thighs, knees and ankles. The hip joints are a little restricted because of Mongul's thick belt but unless you're going to be making him do the splits, you probably won't care.


Unfortunately, Mongul is one of those action figures that does not come with any accessories. He is big and bad and doesn't need any weapon to beat you to a bloody pulp.



Overall, Mongul was surprisingly a very cool looking figure. If it wasn't for Mattel's Toys R Us 2 packs, I probably would never have gotten this action figure but I'm glad I did. I actually like him a lot more than Cyborg Superman. Great sculpt and paint job once again.




Sculpt/Design - 9, Paint - 9.5, Accessories - 0, Articulation - 8.5, Fun - 8.5
Overall Score - 8.5/10

As mentioned, this figure is part of a Toys R Us exclusive 2 pack. But if your local Toys R Us does not carry these figures, there are plenty of options on eBay.
To find DC Universe Classics 2 Packs by Mattel on eBay, click here.

To find DC Superheroes/Universe Classics Mongul on eBay, click here.

I've got 3 of the 5 DC Universe Classics wave 6 figures being sent to Action Toy Review cental so hopefully I'll have reviews of them up soon. If there is time while I wait, I may go back and take a look at some of the older DC Superheroes figures which I have not yet reviewed.

So be sure to check back for more new, reviews and information regarding Mattel's DC Universe Classics and DC Superheroes toy lines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Not sure if you remember me. We chatted briefly at the end of last year about the various Mattel and DC Direct figures.

I haven't been following the upcoming Mattel figures too much since I haven't been able to buy many figures. The recession sadly hasn't helped in this matter either.

I just saw on an online store that there is a forthcoming two-pack coming out:

Batman vs. Clayface.

Would this be the previously released Clayface that has become very hard to get as if it is I think I will get the upcoming two-pack since it is a lot cheaper especially what with the exchange rate being very high.

Thanks for the continuing reviews as well. I'm still lurking around reading them even if I can't sadly buy most of them.

A.T.R. said...

Yes. Looks like it is the same clayface. Here is a picture: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MAT11450&mode=retail. Its probably a good idea to get the 2 pack. More value for the buck.

Entertainment Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Total Pageviews